We (Gabe, Dan, Paula and Mike, Elizabeth, and I) went to see them at the Cobb Performing Arts Center last night. What a huge venue for such an intimate, low-keyed band! For those who don't know who they are, they are the duo/band from the Irish movie Once who also won an Oscar for Best Original Song. The movie is very low budget and sweet with non-actors, and the soundtrack is awesome (one of my faves!).
I wasn't feeling great to begin with, so the late start and long showtime was getting to me. Plus Glen Hansard, the lead singer, has obviously gotten a bit big-headed from his recent triumphs. He introduced each song with so much long-winded stories; it was annoying. In fact, during the concert he mentioned that his partner Markéta Irglová told him she would give him $100 if he didn't speak during the concert. I whispered to Gabe that I would have doubled that amount.
Also, Glen told the story of how when they were in Tennessee they went to an Obama rally. That got a lot of cheers from the audience, which I found weird, because we were in the middle of Georgia suburbia and I didn't think there would be many supporters there. Apparently Barack's secret service recognized him and allowed him access to the press box.
It was a pretty good concert and really sweet of Gabe to treat his staff!
I wasn't feeling great to begin with, so the late start and long showtime was getting to me. Plus Glen Hansard, the lead singer, has obviously gotten a bit big-headed from his recent triumphs. He introduced each song with so much long-winded stories; it was annoying. In fact, during the concert he mentioned that his partner Markéta Irglová told him she would give him $100 if he didn't speak during the concert. I whispered to Gabe that I would have doubled that amount.
Also, Glen told the story of how when they were in Tennessee they went to an Obama rally. That got a lot of cheers from the audience, which I found weird, because we were in the middle of Georgia suburbia and I didn't think there would be many supporters there. Apparently Barack's secret service recognized him and allowed him access to the press box.
It was a pretty good concert and really sweet of Gabe to treat his staff!