Cats - Siblings or Uncle/Aunts?

So we've been having an ongoing debate about whether the cats will be the baby's older siblings or his uncle and aunts. This all started when I mentioned getting Chloe a shirt that said "Big Sister," until I realized that we weren't very successful at getting her Mrs. Chloe Claus outfit on for Christmas. My friend Jeanie can get outfits on her Jack Russells, so why can't I put outfits on Chloe?



Gabe insists on calling them Aunts Chloe and Pixie and Uncle Moo, but really, they are my kids too.

Then today he asked me if it was weird to name a baby after a sibling who has passed. This came out of nowhere so I told him that that was morbid, and a little weird to name a baby after a dead sibling. Aha! He tricked me! He knew I wanted the baby's middle name to be after my beloved cat Oskar. His point was that Oskar would have been more of an uncle than a brother.

Oskar came to me when I was in my early 20's living in a dilapidated funeral home in Baltimore city with a bunch of other 20 somethings. It was winter, and I was in the kitchen feeding my cats. I looked out of the floor to ceiling windows and saw these blue eyes looking in. I went to the window, and on the porch trying to run away was this poor ragged Siamese cat. He was limping and his ear was torn. I got him inside and fed him. He followed me everywhere and waited outside when I went to the bathroom.

However, I already had 3 cats and couldn't really keep him; I didn't want to be a crazy cat lady. I found someone who wanted to adopt him. She had about 5 kids and 7 cats and lived in a tiny house. In my heart, I didn't want to give him away but I thought I had to. Anyway, I really missed him and called to check in on him after about 2 days. I was told that he was crying and pining for me so I asked them when I could pick him up.

I unfortunately didn't have him for a very long time, maybe about 3 years. He was old and had a hard life on the street. However, he was the sweetest cat. When I was fostering some kittens, it was him who they went to for comfort. He was laid back and just so unusual looking with his big apple head. And he had a really crazy voice.

His death was really hard for me. I was still rather young and new to pet ownership. I probably wasn't as diligent about his care as I should have been. And when he finally received his prognosis, I took him to get chemo and everything. Looking back, it wasn't the best decision because I knew he suffered from all the needles and hospital visits. And then when he couldn't walk anymore, my mother told me that as Buddhists, we couldn't end a life. I was really troubled and didn't know what to do. Finally, after a day of feeling so helpless, I made the decision to have him put to sleep. It was probably too little too late, but I had to end his suffering. He deserved to be at peace.

I still think about him often - his kind, brave, sweet old soul. So that is why this baby is going to be named after him.

He would have been brother Oskar, not Uncle Oskar. His aunties will be Mouse, Lulu, Wilma, Missy, Patsy and uncles Kody, Mikey, Arlo (I know I'm missing a few names but will fill them in later). And of course, I can't forget the canines - Uncle Coco and Aunt Sasha!