Ouch! That Hurts!

After a 3 day diet of lots of starchy foods and a ton of sugary stuff (had to have 2 candy bars, 2 bananas, 2 large fruit juices and sodas everyday), I had to fast last night and go in for my 3 hour glucose test this morning to see if I have gestational diabetes. I admit that I was surprised by the test because I don't have a sweet tooth (rarely drink sodas, little refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup in my diet, etc) and my weight gain hasn't been too bad (about 26 lbs in 27 weeks).

My urine this morning looked fine; it didn't have any glucose. However, I have to wait 24 hours for the lab results on my blood. Oh boy, that blood drawing was the worst! They were supposed to do it 4 times in 3 hours, and I ended up getting drawn about 7 times because they couldn't find a vein. I told the nurses that my mother, who used to be an IV nurse, would always complain about the sad state of my puny veins. She was always so disappointed with how thin they were.

So now my poor arms are really sore and I had to take the day off work. I was already feeling pretty nauseated from all that sugary food and now my arms are all tingly and sore.

I really hope I don't have gestational diabetes. If I did, I would have to prick my finger 4 times a day to check on my blood sugar level and eat a modified diet. If that doesn't control the baby from getting too large, I'd then most likely have to have a C section. Also, I keep on reading about how women who have GD have a greater chance of getting diabetes later on in life. At any rate, this has definitely been a wake up call for me to eat better and exercise more!