Daddy Nazi

Okay, maybe it wasn't a good idea to take Gabe with me to the breastfeeding class. Every time I say that I'm just going to go with the flow and trust the doctors and the nurses (who've got an awesome reputation BTW at the hospital), he quotes the lactation consultant (who apparently is also well known in the field).

For example, when I tell him that depending on how tired we end up being if the labor is long, we may want to send the baby to the nursery so that we can sleep. His response? No way, the LC (lactation consultant) recommends that the baby stays with you at all times!

Also, I said that I have no opinion about whether or not the nurses give the baby a pacifier. Again, he says "NO WAY!" because of the possible nipple confusion. Formula feeding in the hospital if I'm asleep or having issues? You'd think I'd suggested handing the baby over to the kitchen. According to Gabe and his BFF, the LC, the baby must be breastfed within the first hour after delivery and every three hours afterwards.

I try to tell him that this is not the first baby ever born and that babies are quite resilient and adaptable. Also, I'm sure we'll figure things out. He tells me that I apparently have "mom-nesia" and forgot everything that the LC said.

Maybe it's just hitting him that the baby is almost here and he's freaking out. I've had 33 weeks to get used to it so if I'm laid back now, it's because I've already created the feeding schedule and pooping/peeing documentation in Excel.

We're not going to a birthing class because we just don't have time. Also, my doctor confirmed that the nurses are really great and helpful. My intention is just to go with the flow and ask for an epidural when I need it. Nature will take over. But it is funny to see Gabe's face when I tell him this!