1st Day of Daycare

Last Friday as I was getting ready to send in the enrollment forms to the posh daycare that we were going to use, I got a call from the Tech daycare letting me know that they had a spot. Talk about the eleventh hour!

I had been on their waiting list since October 2007 (before I was even pregnant!) and I would occasionally check in with them about availability. They told me that they wouldn't have a spot until August 2009 so Gabe and I had to find an alternative. However, the alternative was incredibly expensive so we could only afford care for 3 days/week. I can't believe they called and offered me a spot minutes before I was going to submit the paperwork to the other daycare. This daycare is just down the street from my office and 5 days there is almost $200 cheaper per month than 3 days at the posh daycare!

So yesterday was Goose's first day. I don't think they were quite ready for us to come in so soon. I had an opportunity to observe a play group while they got ready for my orientation and all the little kids were so fascinated with Gustav. Their teacher had to constantly get their attention because all they wanted to do was stare at the baby.

There are 2 infant rooms, each with a maximum of 8 babies and 2 caregivers. Gustav is in a room with 5 other babies and he is the youngest at the moment. The other 2 spots are being held for babies who haven't been born yet. I haven't met his primary caregiver yet because she is new and currently being trained.

I'm trying to reserve judgment at least for this first week. I wasn't completely impressed with their cleanliness and I wished they didn't use bleach to clean the surfaces. Of course, I shouldn't compare them to the posh daycare. We made the decision to send him to this one because of the location, cost, and the standards associated with being a national chain. I really want to like it because we have no other options...

On another note, I think Charlie is taking this hard too. He kept on asking me when I was going to pick up the baby!

Miss Stephanie (Head Teacher) and Gustav