Fever

Daycare called me today at 2:30pm to tell me that Gustav had a fever of 102.2. He was cranky this morning, and they said that he was constantly crying all day.

I picked him up and took him to see the nurse practitioner. She said that he had a sore throat (strep would be very rare at his age) in addition to the fever (he was smiling until she took his rectal temperature). I have to give him tylenol every four hours.

I'm glad I had an earlier experience with a borderline fever (99.5) otherwise I probably would have freaked out! A fever in and of itself isn't a problem at this age (unlike with a newborn); it can be a symptom of an infection.

We came home and played for a little bit. Now does this look like a very sick baby? Well, okay his nose was running...