Since her initial diagnosis in December and the vet's suggestion to put her down, we've treated her condition with steroids to increase her appetite. She's had good days and bad days. On her good days, she could jump on the bed and sleep between Gabe and me. On her bad days, she would just lie and rest in her kitty bed.
During this past week, her energy seemed to have greatly decreased. She would only eat tuna so I happily gave her all the tuna she could want. However, we knew the time was approaching. I called my vet about euthanasia and cremation. We'd prefer that she passed peacefully at home surrounded by familiar things. However, days have been passing and I've started getting concerned about her passing without us present.
The issue of euthanasia is hard for me. As a Buddhist who went to Catholic school, I'm not supposed to take a life. And as she has still been lucid, I didn't think I could look into her knowing eyes. If her mind had gone, it would have been easier.
I've always regretted waiting too long to euthanize Oskar, for precisely this reason. Alex passed away in the best way; we knew it was imminent so we slept by her and she passed peacefully in the night.
Pixie has been a tough girl and hanging on. I believe she loves me so much that she just doesn't want to say goodbye to me.
Gabe and I decided that the time has come and that we need to do this for our girl. We are going to take her to the vet tomorrow so if you remember, please say a kitty prayer for Pixie the Cat.

During this past week, her energy seemed to have greatly decreased. She would only eat tuna so I happily gave her all the tuna she could want. However, we knew the time was approaching. I called my vet about euthanasia and cremation. We'd prefer that she passed peacefully at home surrounded by familiar things. However, days have been passing and I've started getting concerned about her passing without us present.
The issue of euthanasia is hard for me. As a Buddhist who went to Catholic school, I'm not supposed to take a life. And as she has still been lucid, I didn't think I could look into her knowing eyes. If her mind had gone, it would have been easier.
I've always regretted waiting too long to euthanize Oskar, for precisely this reason. Alex passed away in the best way; we knew it was imminent so we slept by her and she passed peacefully in the night.
Pixie has been a tough girl and hanging on. I believe she loves me so much that she just doesn't want to say goodbye to me.
Gabe and I decided that the time has come and that we need to do this for our girl. We are going to take her to the vet tomorrow so if you remember, please say a kitty prayer for Pixie the Cat.