Chloe Update

Chloe went in for more testing yesterday. She had a feline leukemia/HIV test, x-rays, ultrasound, and a coagulation panel (instead of the more invasive liver biopsy) done.

Afterward I spoke with Dr. Villines, and the news is cautiously hopeful. Chloe tested negative for feline leukemia/HIV and her x-rays looked good. Her coagulation panel showed normal clotting. Her liver looked okay on the ultrasound but her kidney looked a little big so she may have some kidney disease. We have to give her some antibiotics while we wait for Dr. Villine's consultation with an internal medicine specialist.

These results prompted Gabe to say that there is probably nothing wrong with her. Gosh, I hope so! We've been really sad the past couple of days. Besides the worry over Chloe, it was also the anniversary of my mother's death on January 20 (it's been 6 years). Perhaps my mom intervened on Chloe's behalf:-)

BTW, I love our vet! We go to Village Vets in Decatur, and they are so nice there. The vets make every effort to speak with you; they call you on every number listed until they reach you and they are accessible by email. My vet even gave me her cell number and told me I coud call in the evenings! And when it was time to euthanize Pixie, they didn't charge us and afterward sent us a sympathy card with notes from all the staff. Love them!

Update:
Just spoke with Dr. Villines, who spoke to a specialist. Apparently there were a few suspicious cells in Chloe's liver chemistry. To know for sure if it's cancer, they would need to do a biopsy. Since I was wary of exposing Chloe to more invasive procedures, we decided that the short term course of action would be to give her the antibiotics for 2 weeks and put her on a new diet that would help with her kidney. If both her liver and kidney values go down from the antibiotics and new food, we will continue with the antibiotics for several more weeks.

Gabe and I talked last night about balancing quality of life and treatment options, not to mention expenses. I did go through chemotherapy with my cat Oskar and I really regret it for his sake. It didn't significantly increase his lifespan, and the treatments were painful.

With Chloe, there is no obvious signs of tumor, only some suspicious cells. We'll test her again in 2 weeks and go from there.