The shower was great and Dawn was absolutely glowing! It was a pleasure getting to know her mother and sister better and helping them organize the shower.
Dawn's sister got hit by a car a few years ago and has steadily been recovering. She's truly beautiful and has such a loving heart. She and her mom moved down to Atlanta (dad is trying to sell the condo in NY) to be closer to Dawn and her family. I can empathize with what the family has gone through because my father had a brain aneurysm when I was 14 years old and it was an adjustment for our family. Disability doesn't just affect the individual but the entire family.
On Thursday I went over to their condo at 1010 Midtown to discuss what else we needed for Saturday. Well, 1010 was having an exclusive open house and the restaurants from the ground floor had food set out in several of the units. Instead of talking about the shower, we went to the open house and had dinner:-) And there I was dressed in my usual slacker-casual jeans. I just love Rose and Melissa!
Anyway, back to the shower. At one point, I was talking to one of Dawn's aunties (they are a large Puerto Rican family) who was visiting from Florida. We started talking about our deceased parents. I guess this particular auntie is a bit of a cryer so Melissa tried to rescue me. She started telling me how she had a "vibe" about me, and before she could go on, the tears just started streaming down. So embarrassing!
I think the older I get, the more I notice that yearning in me for familial ties. I yearn to be around the cooking, the family stories, the feeling of being safe. I yearn for family.
I guess Dawn's family brought that yearning out. I like being around down-to-earth and low maintenance people. People who work hard to pay the bills, take care of family, people who are no-nonsense and practical. I have no interest in being around "perfect" people who strive to have the most beautiful house, drive the newest cars, and one-up another person.
The shower was lovely and relaxed, and I had a great time connecting with people.
Dawn's sister got hit by a car a few years ago and has steadily been recovering. She's truly beautiful and has such a loving heart. She and her mom moved down to Atlanta (dad is trying to sell the condo in NY) to be closer to Dawn and her family. I can empathize with what the family has gone through because my father had a brain aneurysm when I was 14 years old and it was an adjustment for our family. Disability doesn't just affect the individual but the entire family.
On Thursday I went over to their condo at 1010 Midtown to discuss what else we needed for Saturday. Well, 1010 was having an exclusive open house and the restaurants from the ground floor had food set out in several of the units. Instead of talking about the shower, we went to the open house and had dinner:-) And there I was dressed in my usual slacker-casual jeans. I just love Rose and Melissa!
Anyway, back to the shower. At one point, I was talking to one of Dawn's aunties (they are a large Puerto Rican family) who was visiting from Florida. We started talking about our deceased parents. I guess this particular auntie is a bit of a cryer so Melissa tried to rescue me. She started telling me how she had a "vibe" about me, and before she could go on, the tears just started streaming down. So embarrassing!
I think the older I get, the more I notice that yearning in me for familial ties. I yearn to be around the cooking, the family stories, the feeling of being safe. I yearn for family.
I guess Dawn's family brought that yearning out. I like being around down-to-earth and low maintenance people. People who work hard to pay the bills, take care of family, people who are no-nonsense and practical. I have no interest in being around "perfect" people who strive to have the most beautiful house, drive the newest cars, and one-up another person.
The shower was lovely and relaxed, and I had a great time connecting with people.


