And this time I am sad and a little frustrated.
He was bitten today by a different child who is a repeat offender. According to the report, "Gustav got bit on his chest while sitting on his cot." I asked the teacher if the other child was teething or was it aggression, and she said it was aggression. This time skin was broken and there was some blood.
This is the second time in two weeks. I understand that at this age, being unable to communicate can be frustrating and can lead to anger. My questions/concerns are:
I later spoke with the Assistant Director who said that both biters will be shadowed. The parents were informed and she said that they were receptive to learning more about how to stop the biting.
This evening there was a spaghetti dinner/game night at the school and the Director came over to speak with me. She wanted to assure me that they take biting really seriously but that it's quite common in this age group. I told her that I feel really bad for today's biter's parents and she said that the mother was pretty upset when she found out.
I am not angry with the biters or their parents. I'm just worried about Gustav. For a few days after the first incident, he would get spooked by things like the washing machine turning on whereas before he never noticed. I'm worried about the consequences of this bite because this is around the time that night terrors can begin (Gabe had them as a youngster). Although Gustav was his usual sweet and charming self at the school event so I probably shouldn't worry:-)

He was bitten today by a different child who is a repeat offender. According to the report, "Gustav got bit on his chest while sitting on his cot." I asked the teacher if the other child was teething or was it aggression, and she said it was aggression. This time skin was broken and there was some blood.
This is the second time in two weeks. I understand that at this age, being unable to communicate can be frustrating and can lead to anger. My questions/concerns are:
- is Gustav being bullied or targeted?
- will he model this biting behavior and try to bite other children?
- is he being aggressive toward other kids?
- how can we make him feel safe?
I later spoke with the Assistant Director who said that both biters will be shadowed. The parents were informed and she said that they were receptive to learning more about how to stop the biting.
This evening there was a spaghetti dinner/game night at the school and the Director came over to speak with me. She wanted to assure me that they take biting really seriously but that it's quite common in this age group. I told her that I feel really bad for today's biter's parents and she said that the mother was pretty upset when she found out.
I am not angry with the biters or their parents. I'm just worried about Gustav. For a few days after the first incident, he would get spooked by things like the washing machine turning on whereas before he never noticed. I'm worried about the consequences of this bite because this is around the time that night terrors can begin (Gabe had them as a youngster). Although Gustav was his usual sweet and charming self at the school event so I probably shouldn't worry:-)
