Birthday Party Preparations

I cannot believe that Gustav's 2nd birthday is approaching! It seemed like yesterday that he looked like this.



We've debated about whether or not to have a birthday party for him. Last year we went to Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham and celebrated there. There was only one other child and the rest were adults. We figured that we owe him a proper party, especially since this may be his last birthday as an only child:-) (No, I'm not pregnant and no we are not trying yet. We need to wait until Gabe gets a job.)

We've recently been to several parties, and they ranged from a big shindig in a hotel room with a puppet show to a low keyed Sunday brunch. My favorite was probably at Jamie's home. There were so many toys that the toddlers and older siblings just went crazy (Jamie's mom confessed to me that she was a packrat and was always picking up toys at yard sales). The house was small so it was easy to keep an eye on all the kids and the parents just stood around chatting.

I'm an ambivalent party planner, until I'm committed. Gabe thinks I should be a wedding/party coordinator because I'm so detail oriented, but the truth is, I do it because I have to. While some aspects are enjoyable to me (researching ideas and making lists), I do find myself bewildered at how far some people take it. For us, the simplest things are usually the more enjoyable.

So we've committed to this 2nd birthday party and decided on an airplane theme. Now comes the tricky part. While Gabe says that he wants everything simple, green, and DIY, he will get ideas that would seem otherwise. We both hate all the plastic junk in favor bags, but of course he wants to now include paratroopers. Also, I've told him that my colors are baby blue and red, and he wants to include yellow pinwheels. I guess it's cute that he wants to be so involved, but he will get grand ideas that I need to implement, and I'm more about economy and simplicity. I'm sure he will disagree with my assessment! It's true, I say that I care about economy but I will splurge on things because I hate to be cheap when it comes to other people.

I found some inspirations for the invitation and one of my coworkers created it for me. So I emailed (trying to be green!) the below with this message:

Please join us for a nonstop service to Terrible Twosville! Attached is your boarding pass.

We hope you will fly with us!

Captains Trin and Gabe


Pretty cute, huh?

And I'll be using paper scraps from my wedding invitations for the banner. Okay, I admit that I'm excited about this party. Hope the weather is nice because it will be outside!