Our potty training has been intentionally sporadic. First, he's not even two years old yet. Second, we want to find the right balance with his readiness, what his peers are doing, and creating a relaxed environment.
I introduced the potty back in April when he was 18 months. We had no expectations, but he definitely surprised us! His potty chronicle is here, here, and here. I think we've had success a few more times but I didn't blog about them.
He does like sitting on the potty because I usually read to him when he is on it, and this boy loves his books! We were pretty consistent at first; he would sit on the potty right before bath. But then we went on vacation and then he was transitioning to the Two's room. We decided to wait until he was settled in the new classroom before starting back up again. Also, we've been thinking about transitioning him out of his crib because he's been giving me a hard time lately with bedtime. A couple of times he has freaked me out by nearly diving out of his crib. Luckily each time I've been there to catch him.
But then on Saturday he surprised us.
While he was eating, he said "potty." My first reaction was that he was trying to get us to read him a book. Gabe however decided to take Gustav for his word. While Zak removed him from the hook-on chair, Gabe went upstairs to get the potty. I do have a toilet ring for the powder room, but Gustav is still scared of sitting on the big toilet.
So Gabe brought the potty down and Zak removed Gustav's diaper and set him down. Zak then read him a book. I walked over and was taken aback by the smell of poop. Then Gustav got up, and all three adults realized that he did indeed poop in his potty!
He loves Uncle Zak so much that he decided to wait until Uncle Zak was here to share this milestone! Ha!

I introduced the potty back in April when he was 18 months. We had no expectations, but he definitely surprised us! His potty chronicle is here, here, and here. I think we've had success a few more times but I didn't blog about them.
He does like sitting on the potty because I usually read to him when he is on it, and this boy loves his books! We were pretty consistent at first; he would sit on the potty right before bath. But then we went on vacation and then he was transitioning to the Two's room. We decided to wait until he was settled in the new classroom before starting back up again. Also, we've been thinking about transitioning him out of his crib because he's been giving me a hard time lately with bedtime. A couple of times he has freaked me out by nearly diving out of his crib. Luckily each time I've been there to catch him.
But then on Saturday he surprised us.
While he was eating, he said "potty." My first reaction was that he was trying to get us to read him a book. Gabe however decided to take Gustav for his word. While Zak removed him from the hook-on chair, Gabe went upstairs to get the potty. I do have a toilet ring for the powder room, but Gustav is still scared of sitting on the big toilet.
So Gabe brought the potty down and Zak removed Gustav's diaper and set him down. Zak then read him a book. I walked over and was taken aback by the smell of poop. Then Gustav got up, and all three adults realized that he did indeed poop in his potty!
He loves Uncle Zak so much that he decided to wait until Uncle Zak was here to share this milestone! Ha!