1st Dental Visit

Gustav chipped his tooth a couple of weeks ago. It's really small and we have no idea how he did it, although I'm guessing the surreptitious climbing may be to blame!

So I made an appointment for him at a pediatric dentist in Inman Park based on a fellow mom's recommendation. During last year's open enrollment, I decided not to add Gustav to my dental plan because it would have been an additional $444/year. When I had asked my regular dentist his fee for seeing a toddler, he said it would be $60 because there isn't much you can do with a toddler except to examine and clean their teeth.

Anyway, my mom friend really liked this pediatric dentist. I called and asked them for an estimate and was told that the maximum fee would be $292 and that would include all the x-rays, which would have been highly unlikely. So, I would still be ahead.

Gabe picked him up after lunchtime and took him to the visit, with all of my notes of course! Luckily they said the chip was fine and his teeth were okay. We're already doing everything that they advise all parents:
  • he brushes twice a day (he brushes after lunch at school and I brush his teeth right before bed)
  • I floss, particularly the top two incisors that are close together, about 4 times/week
  • he drinks his juice and milk with straws
Gabe said that he was a little scared with the brushing tool so the dentist let him pick out a Dora (he loves her show!) toothbrush and used that instead.

Regarding his fingers sucking, they said it becomes a problem after three years. Right now, we are tolerating it only because we are trying to completely potty train him. Once we are comfortable that he is completely potty trained, we'll work on the fingers sucking.

I have been making a game of it so far though. I'll ask him what we eat (strawberries, blueberries, pasta) and what we don't eat (trucks, knees, fingers). He's getting it but it is such an automatic response. Poor kid really tries by putting his hand behind his head and holding onto toys. Anyway, our plan is to work on this after potty training.

So the cost for the visit? $163 for the exam and cleaning. I'm still ahead.