Family History

I think a lot about what Gustav is going to do when he grows up. Quality of working life is important to me and I always tell the students that having the right boss is half the battle. I sometimes regret that I'm not the career sort; I wish that I had some ambition or even a career but what I really have is a job. Even though it's only a job,  finding the right fit is always a priority for me and I've been very lucky in my life. What I have learned about the right fit for me is a job that is secure, has good benefits, manageable work load, and work friendships. For me, my job pays for my life. What Gabe needs is totally different. He needs something that is both creatively and emotionally fulfilling. There is no boundary for him regarding his work because it ties into his interests so deeply.

Gabe and I agree that what we want for our children is for them to find success in whatever they want to do and to derive happiness from their profession. While I would like them to be financially successful, it's more important for me that they can just support themselves in a stable career. So what success means to us is that they are fulfilled.

I'm also starting to think about family history as a blueprint for what we end up doing. Entrepreneurs seem to breed entrepreneurs, doctors seem to breed doctors or other high achieving profession, etc.

My side (my mom had 8 siblings and these seem to be the most popular):
  • bankers
  • professors/teachers
  • nurses
  • engineer/mechanics
  • transportation
  • this generation: doctors, entrepreneurs, consultants
Gabe's side:
  • mechanic (grandfather)
  • professor (brother)
  • food industry (mother)
  • law (uncle)
I guess I started thinking about this because of Gustav's interest in trains and cars. I realized that my uncle is a mechanic, my brother is in logistics, and Gabe's grandfather was a mechanic. Also, Gabe's uncle was formerly the head of the Maryland Department of Transportation. I have a feeling Gustav may end up in transportation!