Parent Teacher Conference - Gustav

We had a very good meeting with Ms. DaJuana last week. Ms. DaJuana is one of those educators who every child should be lucky enough to have in their life. She totally relates to the little friends and she always has a way of talking to the parents that never brings out any type of defensiveness. She told us how her husband has asked her not to bring home any more children's books so now she buys them and leaves them in her car. Also, when they go out to dinner he has to remind her that it's their date night and not to spend the evening talking to the children nearby.

When Gustav was going through his adjustment period in being a new big brother, she found a Dr. Seuss story about Gustav the Goldfish and read it to him every day. She is very dear to us.

Some of the points that she made about Gustav:
  • he reads her moods and looks very well
  • he is a GREAT negotiator
  • he has an aptitude for shapes and numbers
  • he scored very highly on interacting with peers and making friends 
  • he likes to paint but doesn't like to draw
  • he throws with his left hand
  • he has a great memory (e.g., he still talks about Elinor)
  • even when he is fooling around during circle time, he still pays attention and can recall the story
  • he can write his name (I've only seen him write the letter G)
  • he helps his friends on the computer
  • he has his favorite stories: Gingerbread Man, Yo Yo Abby, Yurtle the Turtle (he has never mentioned these to us!)
  •  he knows right and wrong, but if he sees a friend doing something that they shouldn't be doing, he'll take advantage of it
When I asked Ms. DaJuana if he was being manipulative when, for example, I am upset with him and he tells me that he wants a hug, she replied that he is not being manipulative. Rather he sees that I am upset and he loves me and he wants me to be happy. See what I mean about how she is able to get us parents to see things from a different perspective? Also, when I brought up how concerned I was with how sensitive Gustav can be when friends are rough, she said I would cry too if someone hit me. 

Gustav adores her and will tell me that she is his favorite teacher because she is nice and she calls him Goosey Goose.