Kindergarten

When we bought our house, I didn't even think about schools. I just fell in love with the house. And when neighbors started moving out for schools (at a huge loss), even then I decided that I wasn't going to worry because it's only kindergarten. After paying for private daycare, it was time to redirect our earnings to retirement. I get vested in our pension in three more years and Gabe finally has a 401K, but we are nowhere near maxing our retirement contributions.

Well, now I am worried.

I thought I did my homework. My homework was to research the public schools and Gabe's homework was to research the privates. However, we both didn't think private was necessary at the elementary level. Middle and high school, probably, but not elementary.

I narrowed down five "schools of choice" (IB, charter, theme, magnet, etc) based on my priorities: racial diversity (ie, must have Asians), GreatSchools score, enrichment programs, parent feedback, administration, and teachers. I applied to all five and waited. We got waitlisted for all five schools:-(

- #23 for Fernbank
- #38 for Briar Vista Montessori
- #41 for International Community School
- #79 for Museum School
- #243 for Globe

I called Fernbank and the county to ascertain his chances and was told it would be best to look for an alternative.

I freaked out and without telling Gabe or reviewing the school, I paid $75 to register Gustav at a nearby private school that our neighbors attend. Base tuition is $18,800. And that's before aftercare, enrichment programs, activities, and school fundraising. Even when I was answering some of the questions (eg, where we work, our titles), I felt queasy about the selective nature of the school (ie, lack of accessibility, no special needs programs). 

I really don't want to pay around $20K (x2 in three years) for elementary school because I don't really think it's worth it. Middle and high school are where I'd rather invest my money because at that point, peers and academics become so important and can really influence your trajectory. But elementary school? I don't think so.

We went on a tour of that school that I registered for and it was fine. This process actually reminds me of the time when I needed daycare for Gustav. I put my name on the waiting list at the center by my office before I even got pregnant, but the waiting list was long. We toured and registered for another nearby daycare that was rather posh and very expensive (ie, it cost more for 3 days there than for a week at the center by my office, which also wasn't that cheap). I was just about to fax over my confirmation for Gustav to start the following Monday when I got a call from the GT daycare. 

Anyway, we toured this elementary school and Gabe really liked it. They asked for Gustav to come visit so a few days later I dropped him off. When we got to his class, we saw a "Welcome, Gustav" sign. The kids were very welcoming and one boy approached him and asked if he was their new friend Gustav. Gustav was very clingy and shy, but I just left him. The office manager called me a few minutes later and told me that he was giggling. When I picked him up, the teacher told me that he was the sweetest boy. I asked him how he liked the school and was expecting a lukewarm response when he said "I love it, I love it, I love it!" 

A couple of weeks later we were at a neighborhood party and Gabe started talking to our neighbor who's a surgeon. He said he went to a high school that he thought was great until he saw that it scored a 1/10. They talked about front loading education and it started making more sense to me.

This year in PreK has been challenging for Gustav. He started saying that he was sick and didn't want to go to school. Gabe has always shared with me that his progressive elementary school really impressed upon him the lifelong curiosity and eagerness to learn. I want that for Gustav. 

I've talked to a few parents of this private school and all of them have said the school has been instrumental in helping their shy children come out of their shell. When I saw his teacher's assessment for him that she had to submit to the school, I realized that Gustav probably needs this school. I think it will be a great fit for him. 

We put a deposit down and now have until June to withdraw.