I hope my children know that being an adult sometimes means making hard decisions. As their parent, I am reminded each time that I hear them laugh, that they have this one childhood. And I will do everything in my power to make sure their childhood is safe and stable. That's my job, as their mother and as an adult.
When I went to those Al Anon meetings, I was confronted so many times by the damage caused by a parent's, and at times grandparent's, alcoholism. I swore that my children will not be damaged in that way. I want them to grow up to be resilient adults. One way for that to happen is for them to have a stable environment where they learn that challenges are met and dealt with directly with little drama.
I also want them to be compassionate and to understand that alcoholism and mental disorder are diseases. However, I just cannot allow anyone who thrives on drama and who refuses to address such disorders into my children's environment. And it's hard for me to respect anyone who won't help themselves.
So, I am setting up strong boundaries and will protect my family.
Below is a drawing that Greta recently did of her family (when did she learn how to write?!). I am the big one in the middle with long arms to protect everyone. That is my job, and my privilege.
When I went to those Al Anon meetings, I was confronted so many times by the damage caused by a parent's, and at times grandparent's, alcoholism. I swore that my children will not be damaged in that way. I want them to grow up to be resilient adults. One way for that to happen is for them to have a stable environment where they learn that challenges are met and dealt with directly with little drama.
I also want them to be compassionate and to understand that alcoholism and mental disorder are diseases. However, I just cannot allow anyone who thrives on drama and who refuses to address such disorders into my children's environment. And it's hard for me to respect anyone who won't help themselves.
So, I am setting up strong boundaries and will protect my family.
Below is a drawing that Greta recently did of her family (when did she learn how to write?!). I am the big one in the middle with long arms to protect everyone. That is my job, and my privilege.

