We had a very hygge (danish concept of cozy) Christmas this year; no drama and just family togetherness, matching pajamas, and good food.


















On Christmas Eve, Gabe made a traditional dinner with turkey, oyster stuffing, and pumpkin pie. We all played Sorry while Gabe cleaned up to determine who would get to open an early present. (I recently discovered the Icelandic tradition of giving books on Christmas Eve so everyone could retire early and snuggle up in bed reading. I was hoping I could give the winner a book). Alas Gustav won and he opened up a gift from Naresa.
On Christmas morning Gustav woke up early and tried to get Greta downstairs. Gabe said she may have said the most reasonable thing of her life when she told Gustav “I know it’s Christmas but I just want to sleep!” Ha!
Santa and his reindeer came by (naughty reindeer made a mess of the oats we left for them on the deck), but Santa forgot to autograph the signature box in Gustav’s letter. He must have been distracted.
The kids got their usual 3 presents from Santa:
1. Something to read (easy readers for Greta and wimpy kid and Dog Man for Gustav)
2. Something to wear (hats and mittens and mermaid reversible sequin shirts for both)
3. Something to play with (American girl doll and 7 containers of Pokémon cards)
Regarding the Pokémon cards, about two summers ago Gustav took his cards to Camp at Georgia Tech and someone stole them:-( He was inconsolable for a long time and earlier this year he said it would be a Christmas miracle if he got the cards back.
Ultimately he was a little disappointed that Santa didn’t bring him a Nintendo Switch but he did get plenty of 2DS games from us, Aunt Sue, and Namu Auntie.
For Christmas Day dinner the Combs came over and we ordered Chinese take out.
Everyone had a very lovely Christmas and we are truly grateful.